Saturday, April 18, 2015

37 things (you might not know) about me for my 37th birthday

In honor of my 37th birthday I thought I would share 37 things that you may or may not know about me.

1. I am the 4th generation of my family to live in my small town.
2. I used to own a store with my mom in our  town that was open one evening a week and Saturdays. We opened it while I was in college and I continued to run it with my mom, and then by myself until 2011. We sold scrapbook supplies, antiques, fresh flower arrangements, balloons, handmade crafts, furniture and vintage items.
3. I went to kindergarten in the same room that my son's kindergarten is in.
4. I've only been to one place outside of the United States, I spent 3 weeks in England as my last class before graduating from College. I loved it and would go back again anytime!
5. If I could move to anywhere in the United States I would live in Alaska. I've been there 5 times, including two weeks for my honeymoon. I tried to talk my hubby into buying a coffee shop and staying there!
6. I am exactly 5 foot tall.
7. Growing up my parents owned the town lumber yard and my mom sold punch needle embroidery at craft shows on the weekend. I grew up roller skating up and down the aisles of the lumberyard and playing Barbies under the back table at craft shows.
8. I moved out of my parent's house when I was 19, into my own house that was built in 1922. Which I fixed up and lived in for 10 years by myself with my 3 cats.
9. I have a BA degree in English with a writing minor and a master's degree in Elementary Education.  I have wanted to be an interior designer, a writer, a preschool teacher, a kindergarten teacher, a mom, and I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
10. If I had the day to myself and I could do anything I wanted, I would go yard saling, read a book, get several starbucks mocha frappucinos, and visit with a friend I have lost touch with and haven't seen in almost 10 years, in that order.
11. I hate white walls. My husband loves white walls.
12. My favorite color is red. (see #11 for why my house is mostly white)
12. I am terrified of snakes and tornadoes and the dentist.
13. I started selling on ebay in 1997. I sold scrapbook paper and ephemera supply lots. My first YEAR I made a profit of $1000 and I thought I was in the big money!
14. I have photographic memory, which comes in really handy when remembering BOLO's I've seen on other blogs
15. I used to read 3-5 books a week. I now read about 3-5 a year, if I'm lucky! I miss reading!
16.I am very prone to motion sickness, I once threw up while floating in a swimming pool (too many waves :) I do not do boats, spinning rides, swings, or back seats in cars.
17. In college I worked at Hobby Lobby. I started as a cashier, then head of the Cards and Party and Candles/Scents Department, then I designed all of the store displays and went to other stores all over the country to help them set up their displays. I also went to a 3 day training to learn how to "shape" (ie fluff) Christmas trees.
18. I have a hard time working in a place where everything is put away and I can't see where things are.
19. Favorite weather: Rain      least favorite weather: windy
20. Favorite Hobby: scrapbooking/crafting
21. my hubby and I dated for 3.5 years before getting married. 11 months later my brother and my hubby's sister got married (they both were over 35!)
22. Favorite food I never get to eat: boiled peanuts, preferably fresh from a roadside stand
23. I just recently canned my first food- salsa. 6 jars which my hubby has already eaten.
24. Celebrity Crush: Robert Redford
25. Part of my morning routine includes getting more swagbucks- I was recently able to purchase a 24" flat screen TV for our bedroom using only swagbucks!
26. I wrote 200 pages into a novel and then stopped and never finished it.
27. I was recently diagnosed with what my Dr. is calling "situational" depression. I am learning how to better deal with this. Blog post coming soon.
28. Favorite band: The Blue Nile
29. My kitchen is decorated in Vintage Coca Cola, but I drink Pepsi.
30. I am very klutzy, more so when I am nervous, and hurt myself at least once a week.
31. I hope to one day write a book and self publish it. Any one have ideas about what I should write about?
32. I am a very, very picky eater.
33. I do not wear heels, ever. (see #30)
34. If I had a million dollars the first thing I would buy is a freezer just to store milk I got on sale.
35. I hate talking on the phone and often screen my calls, even if its my family calling.
36. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke, just walking by someone in a store who smokes will give me an asthma attack- which sometimes makes shopping at garage sales, flea markets and auctions difficult.
37. I was born when my mom was 35. I arrived a month early, the day after they moved into their new house they just finished building. (and still live in now!) My mom bent over to get a pan out of the cupboard to cook an egg for breakfast and her water broke. ( I think that was the first and last time that I was early for anything!)




21 comments:

  1. great post! I'm a shorty, too- 5'1. I'm also a bit of a clutz (lots of jeans with holes in the knees), but I can't seem to give up those heels yet :) Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good for you with the heels, maybe once the kiddos are more grown up ad I don't have to carry them around anymore, then maybe I can go back to heels!

      Delete
  2. Happy 37th Birthday! I hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list Melissa. Happy birthday! I'm very jealous of your photographic memory. LOL

    I too have horrible motion sickness. I can't do rides either. I always had to have a barf bag with me when I was little as being in a car usually resulted in me having to use it! And OMGosh..I loathe talking on the phone. I do the same thing. I love to sit and chat with people face to face...but despise the phone..even talking with family. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like talking to people in person either, especially people I don't know, I'd rather email or text, which makes selling online the perfect job for me!

      Delete
  4. OK I just read your list and have to know why you love Pepsi but have your kitchen decorated in Coke.

    I also have motion sickness. I always drive if possible.

    Your job at Hobby Lobby sounds like it was fun.

    I like rain and storms.

    Fun to read all about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy for your comments. I think vintage coke ads have better graphics and I like the red, green and black colors better for a kitchen, instead of the blue of Pepsi. Silly isn't it? I'm not really brand loyal, I've changed the soda I drink several times over the years, but my kitchen has always been Coca-Cola.

      Delete
  5. Awesome post--very interesting! I liked thinking about 4 generations of your family living in the same small town. I moved out of my state as soon as I joined the military and my parents moved 3 hours away from my mother's home town when they got married and my father lived in 3 different countries growing up, so that idea is foreign to me. So fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Diana. I think it's interesting that you have been able to see more of the country. For the most part I like living in the same town, but sometimes it can be hard. People in small towns can hold grudges for a long time. So, if my Grandpa was mad at your Grandpa, then I'm going to still be mad at you, even though I have no clue why I am mad- kinda thing. It can be hard to be your own person in a small town! But I love being so close by my extended family, they are a great support system.

      Delete
  6. I think we all find something on your list that resonates with us. Mine are talking on the phone, especially MAKING phone calls (thank goodness I have a wife who will!), and having the same educational credentials — BA in English, concentration in creative writing. I haven't written much since I graduated from college 22 years ago. I haven't read much either. Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rush, thanks for commenting. I make my hubby make phone calls for me too! My parents wondered what kind of job I could get with an English degree- I guess I should have listened to them! I guess I didn't really need a Masters degree to sell on ebay. :)

      Delete
    2. I have an MBA and sell on Ebay! :P I love it. But I got it for 2 reason, first I was the first person in my immediate family not only to get a college degree, but also a graduate degree. Also at that time, I thought the corporate world was where I wanted to be..but that all changed with the birth of my 2nd son.

      Delete
    3. Ha, same here. Technically I use my master's degree because I still sub occasionally (I am a librarian and work a couple shifts each month). But I do wonder if I'll ever use it enough to make up for how much it cost me!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday!!! Wishing you the happiest day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Happy Birthday to you. I loved reading the list.

    ReplyDelete

I'm back......

Whoa Friends, has it been a long time! Hard to believe my last post was over 3 years ago- but here I am. A few things have changed- I am now...